Law School Launchpad: Pre-Law Program Sending Graduates Nationwide

Students can meet law school admissions representatives at the annual law-school fair.

From the April 2016 Desktop News | Of the 160 University of Alabama graduating seniors who applied to law school last year, 152 of them, or 95 percent, were accepted. That makes an eight-percent growth in the last five years.

Roughly half of the students were accepted to top-25 schools including Harvard, Stanford, and the University of California—Berkeley.

Kevyn Armstrong-Wright, a pre-law alumna who was accepted to the University of California—Berkeley in 2015, said that her English major gave her the groundwork she needed for her higher education studies.

“Law school consists solely of reading and writing,” she said. “So I am very thankful that my English professors taught me how to do both well.”

Other students, like Anna Forrister, a senior majoring in anthropology, have found that their UA education has helped them to broaden their horizons and understand the world better.

“My anthropology classes have taught me how to look at things from different perspectives and how to understand points of view that are different from my own,” Forrister said. “I think both of those skills will help me in in law school and in life.”

Forrister hasn’t chosen the school she will attend in the fall, but she has already been accepted at five law schools, three of which are in the top 25.

In addition to the scholastic and critical thinking skills pre-law students gain through their degrees, students also participate in an annual law-school fair, attend on-campus visits from practicing attorneys, have interviews with law school admissions representatives, receive help in crafting personal statements, enroll in law school preparation courses, and take practice LSAT tests.

Tyler Roberts, the director of UA’s pre-law program, said that the number of students who register for the LSAT practice tests has continued to grow. Last year there were roughly 400 registrants. This year, they have already reached 470 students—with two more practice tests still to go.

“Taking a real LSAT in a simulated environment helped calm my nerves on the day of the actual test,” Armstrong-Wright said of her own experience in 2015.

Roberts, a UA graduate who applied and was accepted to law school himself, said that his goal is to help students navigate their way through the application process and beyond.

“Even really smart people, who can get into law school on their own with their grades and LSAT scores, can still benefit from what we offer,” he said. “I want everybody to understand what it is that they’re getting into—not only what law school will be like, but also what the job market looks like.”