How A&S Advising Works

Find Your Advisor

Every student in the College of Arts and Sciences (A&S) has two advisors:

You’ll see each of these advisors at different points in your academic career. Visit “Get Advised” for information on making an appointment with your advisor/s.

When You’ll Meet with Your Advisor

Freshman year (0 to 30 credit hours)

First semester: You’ll launch your academic career at Bama Bound, the University’s orientation program. That’s when you’ll register for your first semester’s classes and have your first meeting with an advisor from the College of Arts and Sciences Student Services Center.

Second semester: All first-year students who have declared majors within the College or who are undecided are advised by advisors in the A&S Student Services Center.

If you have declared a major by the end of your freshman year, your College advisor will help you transition to your faculty advisor.

Sophomore year (31 to 60 credit hours)

After you declare a major: Each October and February until you graduate, you’ll meet with your faculty advisor to discuss your schedule for the upcoming semester/s. This advisor is also the person who will clear you for registration (i.e., authorize you to register).

If you’re still undecided: Your College advisor will meet with you to discuss your academic progress and clear you for registration.

Junior year (61 to 90 credit hours)

Continue to meet with your faculty advisor for registration.

When you’ve completed 70–80 credit hours, use DegreeWorks to assess your progress toward a degree. This is a great time to take this step, because you’ve still got a few semesters in which to make up deficiencies. If you have any questions about your coursework, talk to your faculty advisor or College advisor.

Senior year (91+ credit hours)

Continue to meet with your faculty advisor for registration.

The semester before the semester in which you plan to graduate (for May graduates, that would be fall semester), you must complete the application for graduation, which is available through myBama, under the Student tab.